This document contains important information about initial-eligibility standards for international student- athletes. For more information about international academic standards, including policies for over thirty countries, please visit

Why do I need to register with the NCAA Eligibility Center?
If you want to play NCAA sports at a Division I or II school, you need to register with the NCAA Eligibility Center and have your academic and amateurism evaluations completed. If you are currently enrolled (or have previously been enrolled) as a full-time student at a university in a non-U.S. foreign country, you will be considered a transfer student-athlete during the process to enroll at an NCAA college or university. Please visit for more information regarding your eligibility.

How do I register with the NCAA Eligibility Center?
Take your first step to becoming an NCAA student-athlete at Choose from our two account types to get started:

  1. Certification Account: You need to be certified by the NCAA Eligibility Center to compete at an NCAA Division I or II school. You also need to be registered with a Certification Account before you can make official visits or sign a National Letter of Intent in Division I or II. A Certification Account is $135 for international student-athletes.
  2. Profile Page: If you plan to compete at a Division III school or are currently unsure in which division you want to compete, create a free Profile Page. If at any time you wish to pursue a Division I or II path, you will be able to transition to a Certification Account. The NCAA Eligibility Center will not certify students with a Profile Page.

For Certification Accounts, please allow between 30 to 45 minutes to register completely. If you need to exit and come back at a later time, you can save and exit once your account or profile is created. Reference the Help section located in the top task bar at any time to answer your questions as you work through registration.

What are the initial-eligibility requirements for international student-athletes?
There are different initial-eligibility requirements for NCAA Divisions I and II colleges and universities. For either division, an international college-bound student-athlete must meet minimum academic standards to be eligible for practice, competition and athletics financial aid his or her first year.

Since each international college-bound student-athlete’s academic circumstances are unique, the NCAA division and the respective country determines the standards. A minimum score on either the ACT or the SAT plus an acceptable grade-point average is required. In addition, a minimum number of approved core courses must be earned which will be equivalent to a country’s academic credential presented. And finally, proof of graduation must be included on the academic credential or submitted separately. 1 of 4

What academic documents are required for an international student-athlete?
Please note that there are several academic documents required to receive an academic certification decision following registration with the NCAA Eligibility Center. The NCAA Eligibility Center must receive all of the required academic documents before an academic certification evaluation may begin. Please do not send any academic documents until after you have registered with the NCAA Eligibility Center.

International college-bound student-athletes must submit the following academic documents:

  • Your academic records for years nine and up, in your native language and translated to English
  • Proof of graduation, including certificates, diplomas or final leaving exams
  • SAT or ACT scores
  • Failure to include any of these items may delay review of your records. In certain situations, the NCAA Eligibility Center

Leave a comment

One Reply to “Frequently Asked Questions for International Student-Athletes”

  • SDYU0DH9WD34M8FRS9SGVYDS 10 months ago


In response to:

Frequently Asked Questions for International Student-Athletes

Your email address will not be published.